Re: [MacPerl] perl->c supporting Mac extensions? (fwd)

At 10.55 97/4/4, Mark Manning/Metrica wrote:
>According to Chris Nandor:
>> stolen?  Seriously.  Is anything you've written more valuable than what
>> you've received for free, even apart from perl itself?
>
>Ok - halt.  First, this isn't a personal matter.  It's not
>a question of "have I written anything more valuable than
>what I've received for free."  (Which, if you are talking
<snip>
>mind to their requests either.  So whoa!  Can we keep to
>the question and not take jibes at each other?

This was not meant personally.  I apologize if it was taken as such.  It
was meant as a question to EVERYONE who writes Perl aside from the writers
of the executable itself and the porters (i.e., Larry, Tom, Randal,
Matthias).  I say to all who write Perl that you have been given more than
you will likely ever receive, and I see no reason to hide your code at all.

The only reasons I see to hide code are for security, at which point it is
usually a problem of:
1.)  access to the machine the script resides on
2.)  access to the data the script is dealing with

And neither of these problems are properly addressed by making a script
unreadable.

But I think this thread is ready to die ... and I don't even remember what
the original topic was ... (sorry to all who have been feeling abused by
this thread!).

Chris Nandor                                      pudge@pobox.com
PGP Key 1024/B76E72AD                           http://pudge.net/
Keyfingerprint = 08 24 09 0B CE 73 CA 10  1F F7 7F 13 81 80 B6 B6