[MacPerl] eval problems?

Hi all,

I'm less than a month into learning perl, and have come up with a problem
that I think may be mac-specific, since my perl-head friends shake their
heads confusedly when I mention it.

Anyway, it's a first attempt at a CGI script running with MacHTTP, and I
put in a subroutine to change a query into something that could allegedly
be evaled.  When I stick it through eval, though, it tells me that
"something's wrong", even though the evaluation works, for the most part.
Is this a real problem, or am I merely being an idiot?

More details available if necessary, of course.

-Ben Brown