Re: [MacPerl] Plug-ins / Applets

Darryl asked:

I was wondering if you could elaborate more on how you use Perl with
Netscape? I am writing some articles on the usefulness of Perl to produce
local utilities. Your post to the MacPerl list was intriguing.

Well, the largest project that I have used Perl to build is
the search engine at http://www.penrose-press.com/IDD

In addition, I've used it to build a custom mail robot that
extracts 'e-mail' adresses and builds a mail-merge letter
then e-mails out a batch of letters.

Also, I've used it to build a translator that maps the
HTML tags to replace the accented and special characters
in the DB so that they can be displayed on the Web.
Basically, a clean-up and translate utility.

What I hope to do is build a utility that queries information
from a CD-ROM that is invoked by a reference on a Web page.
This is were I got stuck. Java just won't work, so I
have been looking for a way to do it using Perl.

By the way, I am a 'proceduralist'. I naturally think in
processes and find C++ and Java to be a 'mind-bend' because
of their 'object-orientation'. My language of preference is
Lisp followed or combined with straight C. Therefore, Perl
comes quite naturally. I think it is an outstanding language
that deserves considerable development and extension.

Here's hoping that Perl has a long and happy life.

Ray Lauzzana
Penrose Press
1167 Pacific
San Francisco