[MacPerl] LPW status?

I just got a copy of a nifty looking O'Reilly book called "Web Client
Programming with Perl" which discusses using Perl to batch-automate http
queries, bypassing the Browser.  To make it all work, however, one needs a
Perl WWW access library called LPW.

Apparently this library only works with Perl 5, and there are some
indications that it only works (yet) with Unix; the author says that
Windows versions are not yet completely ported.  He says nothing at all
about a Mac version.

Does anyone know the status of the LPW library?  Can I expect (any of) it
to work? Should I just get brave, download it from the CPAN and try some
things?

Any info appreciated...

Vicki