Re: [MacPerl] Help with Perl/Browser data transfer

At 5:09 pm +0200 09.05.97, Richard Rathe wrote:
>Wouldn't it be possible to "stuff" the %ENV array from a text file on your
>disk, perhaps by substituting another "glue" wrapper that loads said
>variable? RR

Sure. In fact, quite a slick trick might be to have your own 'offline'
version of the 'cgi-lib.pl' library (or whatever you use to do inputs)
somewhere in the search path on your Mac. This would be set up to read data
from a designated file somewhere, parse it and then, as you say, stuff it
into %ENV. You could feed parameters to the script simply by editing the
file.

This still wouldn't let you launch the script by clicking the relevant
links in your browser, but it's cleaner than hacking stuff into the code of
your script. As I know from more or less bitter experience, such hacks tend
to stay in the final version, causing bizarre behaviours.

angus@pobox.com                             http://pobox.com/~angus

"Why are you weeping?" said Bembel Rudzuk.              "Pilgermann"
"I am suffering from an attack of history." I said.     Russell Hoban
"It will pass." said Bembel Rudzuk.