Re: [MacPerl] - Unix vs Mac file commands

Chris Brinegar <design@netpass.com> writes:
}Hello!
}   I've been a subscriber of MacPerl for many months now, having archived
}over 1000 postings, and this is my first post!  I've programmed Perl on
}SGI boxes for over two years now... and am just realizing the power of my
}mac as a webserver.
}
}     Long and short of it... Would anybody be kind enough to point me to
}a reference for converting Perl scripts built for UN*X to Mac?
}Specifically the file commands...

You mean specificially how to write paths?  On your hard drive, the file
called MacPerl.Specifics in your MacPerl folder is one place to start.  See
also http://www.unimelb.edu.au/%7Essilcot/macperl-primer/home.html and
http://www.connection.co.uk/bob/perl/MacPerlFAQ.html

}
}snippet---
}
}sub expired	{
}    	open (EXPOUT,"<..\:exppw.html");

You write what you're trying to say as "<::exppw.html".  There's no need to
backwhack the colons.  .. is a valid name for a file or folder on a
Macintosh, not a symbol meaning "the directory above this one".  To say
"the directory above this one on a Mac, say "::".  To say two directories
above this one, say ":::", etc.  But you can't keep adding :'s the way you
can keep adding ../ on Unix, because eventually you hit the top and can't
go any higher, and you'll get an error.

}		    @message = <EXPOUT>;
}    	close (EXPOUT);
}.....
}---
}Does the Mac require a full path reference here?

No.

}are relative file ref's no-no's?

They work fine.

}
}snippet2---
}
}	chown $nobody,$nobody,"Maxtor\:PUBLIC\:WebSTAR 2.0\:$dir/*";
}	$command = `mv Maxtor\:PUBLIC\:WebSTAR 2.0\:$dir\:\*
}Maxtor\:PUBLIC\:WebSTAR 2.0\:$newdir\/\n`;
}
}---
}and here... I know to drop the permissions.. but how do I "mv" items?

You can rename() them one by one, rename() the folder if that's what you're
actually trying to do, or use MacPerl::DoAppleScript to move a group of
files or an entire folder by scripting the Finder.   The solution you
choose depends on what you're actually trying to do.

}
}thanks for your help! (patience)...
}
}-----------------------------