Re: [MacPerl] - Unix vs Mac file commands

"Douglas P. McNutt" <dmcnutt@macnauchtan.com> writes:
>>I just got MPW with Toolserver and am
>>curious how others on the list are using them with MacPerl.
>
>IMHO Apple made a mistake by not including MPW as a fundamental part of its
>operating system. Entirely too much time was spent hiding the internals of
>the Macintosh from "the rest of us." A whole legion of users thinks that
>there is no "DOS" command line interpreter for the Mac. False. It's just
>that Apple tries to keep it a secret.

While I agree about the utter usefulness of MPW, especially combined with Perl,
the above might be a bit misleading: As opposed to MS-DOS and successors, there
is no command line interpreter built into MacOS, the entire MPW Script language
is implemented by MPW itself.

Matthias

-----
 "I suppose one consequence of the collapse of the USSR is that youngsters
  don't know what communism is any more, though they still have vague ideas
  that you wouldn't want one under your bed." -- Chris Holt