Re: [MacPerl] Cross-platform Perl applications

Philippe,

I'm currently developing a cross-platform Java/Perl application. It's a text
processing management system for long document publishing. All the text
processing is done by Perl (of course) and the interface is delivered to the
user via HTML in a web browser.

This is only a terse description but basically the user uses HTML forms to set
the parameters that are used in the various Perl script text processing tasks.
To generate the HTML forms we use a combination of Java and JavaScript. Normally
you wouldn't run an application from your web browser but if an I/O plugin
resides on your local machine you can write the parameters to disk and execute
another application such as Perl. Perl process the text and reports any
anomalies in an HTML report that the user can look at in the web browser after
the task is complete. This is designed to run local only and, in the future,
possibly on a small Intranet. As you can imagine, there are some security issues
to iron out.

Using a web browser to "wrap" the application means there are a lot of features
that you do not have to program and it has greatly cut development time.

I originally looked into Tk for the interface but at the time it couldn't give
me the flexibility I needed. As for your simple application idea, a web browser
might have too much overhead in memory and disk space to warrant using it in
your situation. Tk might be the better way to go.

Dennis Drescher (SIL-IPub)