Re: [MacPerl] epoch

On 6/7/97 8:17 AM, Chris Nandor said:

>Q: Will the Blue Box and Yellow Box have different epochs, as they do now
>(MacOS/OpenStep)?  Does anyone know?  I am assuming the answer is Yes; I
>"While the blue and yellow halves of Rhapsody are mostly separate, they do
>share some significant resources:
>
>        [...]
>        The system clock."
>
>I see no reason why they cannot share a clock yet treat the epoch
>differently, but I am not sure how it all fits together, and whether indeed
>the epochs WILL be different.

The clock has to yield the "same" value on both systems. Files have
modification
dates that are taken from the clock, and it would be too horrible to
contemplate
programs running in Yellow and Blue Boxes making different decisions on
the same
file.

The "value" of the clock is always expressed as delta with respect to an
epoch. So the binary form of the clock will be different in the two
boxes. Mac programs that use the standard
date manipulation routines provided by the toolbox will be unaffected by
the representation in binary form. Mac programs that are very aware of
the date formats, or that re-implement the wheel, such as Microsoft
software, will have problems in some situations.