Re: [MacPerl] Out of Memory Crash (fwd)

According to Chris Nandor:
> Unlike UNIX perl, which does not have a preset amount of memory available
> to it, MacPerl is limited by whatever amount of memory you allocate to it
> in the Finder's Get Info window for the app.  UNIX perl automagically grabs
> available system memory.  But all perls are limited by available memory.
> An array that large would tend to crash a perl with a smallish (5MB?)
> partition (as opposed to many UNIX boxes that have, say, 50MB or so free at
> a time).
Ok - thanks.

Now - this is the second message which is focusing on the
memory aspect of this.  That wasn't why I wrote at all.  I
wrote because when this was run from BBEdit's "Run Perl
Script" I got the messages and then I was returned to
BBEdit.  But when I ran this as a standalone (ie: Runtime
Version) - I got the messages and then the system crashes.

The question is: Why does it crash the system in the
Runtime Version and not when it is run through BBEdit?

And by "crash" I mean I get the "Which do you want to do?
Restart or Shutdown?".  There is a big difference between
running the program from the editor and running it as a
standalone program.  So it's the inconsistancy between the
two methods of running the program which I thought was
interesting.  And I thought that MN might want to know
about this since the Runtime Version is supposed to be the
same as MacPerl itself.  But it's not.  And this problem
shows that there is something different in how the Runtime
Version handles errors.  At least - it would seem so.  :-)

So I'm not trying to jump on you or anyone else who
responds.  :-)  Because I really do appreciate the
and having to set (or even reset) the minimum needs of a
program.  And I did say that I'd already corrected the
program and that it wasn't crashing anymore.  But I guess
people are only kind-of looking at what I'm writing or
maybe I placed too much emphasis on the "Out of memory!"
stuff and so everyone's posting a kind-of knee-jerk
reaction statement about what might be wrong.  (Sort of
like my mis-reading the guy's posting about trying to get
information off of a system.  I thought he meant he was
trying to break into the system but that wasn't his
question at all.)

Anyway, just thought I'd try to re-focus this.  :-)

Same program got different error messages when run from
Runtime Version and through BBEdit.  In fact - the Runtime
Version crashed the system.  Why?

Thanks again to everyone who has replied.