Re: [MacPerl] Out of Memory Crash (fwd)

According to Tim Guinn:

> Were you running it on a PowerMac or 68K? I ask because, as
> someone reminded me, when I posted something similar, awhile
> back--"Everything crashes nicer on a PowerMac".

PowerMac.  Actually a PowerPC 603e-200mhz system.

> If NNTP is like the SMTP module, it slurps a big chunk of
> memory.
*nod*  I'm sure this contributed to it but the 166,673 hash
memory locations probably did me in more than anything
else.

> It may have no effect at all, but, try giving MacPerl more
> memory. My 'Big' copy here at work on the Q610 needs 7MB to
> do nice things with SMTP, LWP, etc.. And the 8500 needs
> something like 12MB. Otherwise I get the 'Out of Memory!'
> error.
Nah.  I just corrected my mistake so it only really keeps
something like 20-50 articles. :-)

> Hmmm... are you familiar with the 'alta-search' script that
*nod*  But like I've said - I've already got it up and
running.  I just thought the fact that MacPerl actually
crashed the system when the runtime version is going but
didn't when the BBEdit spawned process doesn't was
interesting.  Mainly because the results (ie: messages and
crash) should have been the same on both methods.