Re: [MacPerl] REQ: slirp type thingie for mac? (fwd)

According to Chris Nandor:
> At 11.49 97/6/10, VB wrote:
> >        I did this with a linux box before but I'm stumped when it
> >came to the macbox. If anyone has "been there, dun it" (ie, faked IP
> >on mac using slirp or similar on the remote end), please drop me a
> >line. :-)
>
> Well, if it helps, your best bet would probably be to search out the
> problem in a Mac TCP list/newsgroup.  This really isn't a Perl question,
> it's an OS/networking question, I believe.

Actually, it _is_ a MacPerl question!  :-)  Having worked
with Linux boxes I know what he's asking about.

VB,

You need to go to Paul J. Schinder's site and download the
libnet package.

ftp://mors.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/MacPerl/Scripts/libnet-1.04.sit.hqx

Also, you can get the hostname (ie: IP address) simply by
doing the following:

	$hostname = `hostname`;

once you are connected to the ISP.  The libnet package
helps you do FTP, NNTP, SMTP, and something else which I've
forgotten what it was.  :-/  Anyway, this is how you get
the IP address of what node you are on from your ISP.  Have
fun!  :-)

PS: As an aside - Sorry Paul for typing Schnider so many
times.  I'm just as bad about that as typing Matthais
instead of Matthias.  :-(  I must be dumb-fingered or
something.  :-/