[MacPerl] Re: DBM

Monty VanEmmerik <montyvan@swfla.infi.net> writes:
>I'm working on a cgi that uses:
>
>dbmopen(%users,"users",0666) || die "Can't open users DBM file\n";
>
>When I run this script on our unix web server, when the data file is made,
>the server puts a '.pag' after the file name. It also creates a second file
>called 'filename.dir'. It doesn't do this on my Mac.

MacPerl uses a newer dbm library that no longer uses two files per database.
dbm is a widley used API with lots of different implementations.

>Any thoughts on what's causing the suffix on the end of the file name, and
>the second file? Where can I learn more about DBM and Msql?

For DBM in the context of Perl, the Camel book contains everything you
need to know. For dbm outside the context of Perl, you might be best off
downloading the Berkeley DB package from

http://www.sleepycat.com/db/db.185.html

And reading the dbm manpage in there.

msql is available from http://Hughes.com.au/product/msql/

Matthias

-----
    "The key, the whole key, and nothing but the key. So help me Codd."