Re: [MacPerl] App Glue?

Strider <Strider@baka.com> writes:
>Matthias writes:
>>Strider <Strider@clarityconnect.com> writes:
>>>Could it be possible to set up a glue package that would NOT allow the
>>>editing of a Perl script- it would simply run it (perhaps the script could
>>>even be saved in a compiled format similar to applescript, although that's
>>>a little far out) and then quit?
>>
>>In principle, yes.
>>
>>>It would probably be a LOT smaller than a Perl app,
>>
>>I don't think so. The contribution of the MacPerl GUI is quite small compared
>>to the rest of Perl.
>
>Not just the GUI, but couldn't the Compiling and syntax-checking also go?

No. You can't take the compiler out of perl (because of eval, for instance).

>Maybe the syntax would have to stay because it's integral to running, but
>the perl 'internal format' for the program could be saved, once checked,
>and run again, couldn't it?

That's what the Perl compiler attempts, but it doesn't save any code in Perl.
Perl has many advantages, but producing compact, stand-alone executables is
probably not in its future.

Matthias

-----
   "I'm set free to find a new illusion" -- Velvet Underground