[MacPerl] removing duplicate records from file. HELP PLZ!!!

Lets assume 4 things:
1 - there can be no shells ie: sort or uniq -u used in the following.  It
must ALL be perl statements.
2 - unique records are flagged by the last field (email)
3 - accuracy, not speed is important...hence I will include a routine to
make ALL email fields lower case so as to make matching perfect--even
though this slows down the program considerably.
4 - the file structure is:
name|email\n
name|email\n
etc...

how do i scan the file, read in the records and discard the duplicates.

I asked this once before...but got an answer that depended on the enitre
record being the same.  This did not work, cos people dont always use the
same name, but email is ALWAYS unique.

HELP SOON PLEASE!

Jann Linder

**