Re: [MacPerl] Re: QUESTION: Finding missing links -Reply

I am copying this to Hans, the writer of checkbot:

>Happy broken link finding.  If you locate a perl lib, let me know.
>It's always nicer to just use perl, MacPerl to be specific. :)

I am in the midst of writing/amending one.  I have made a mail gateway to
checkbot (with checkbot resident on my own site), though.  You email
webchecker@jann.com with ONLY your site name such as http://www.jann.com/
in the subject field, and it will invoke checkbot to check your site...then
post the results in html on my site in a password protected area and email
a response to you with a link to check out your stats...

All I have to do now is modify checkbot to do a directory scan and match
that against files that are actually used on the site. It would then (when
I am done, later tonite) be able to tell you which graphics and links on
your site do not need to be there--cos they are not in use.  (This one
aspect would have to be run on your own site, I think, unless there is an
easy way to get an entire directory listing from a remote site...some sites
and servers dont allow that.)

When the webchecker mailresponder is fully operational, I will let you
know.  If you want to check out the mail responder as a beta test for me,
please just follow the instructions above and you would probably be
surprised at the results!!!

PS:  One question about courtesy...If I make all these modifications to the
checkbot program, is it permissible (under the GNU terms) to change the
name of the program and quote the original authors for the parts 'lifted'
from their programs?  Or what do I have to do?  I am going to end up adding
about 50% more data to the program to get it to do what I want it to--AND
change some logic in the program to handle div/zero correctly (yes, hans,
it STILL hangs and crashes).  not to mention the mail gateway and the
password-protected HTML viewing area.

**
professional site:  http://www.jann.com/
personal site:       http://www.jann.com/jann/
email:                  mailto:webmaster@jann.com
**
Funniest definition I've ever heard:
(by Alex Satrapa <mailto:packrat@blitzen.canberra.edu.au>)
Windows 95: n. 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch
to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor,
written by a 2 bit company.