Re: [MacPerl] Changing Directories

"Mark Hunt" <Mark_Hunt@latgqmg.sps.mot.com> writes:
}                      Subject:                              Time:  11:00 AM
}  OFFICE MEMO         Changing Directories                  Date:  6/16/97
}
}I am having difficulty changing directories in my scripts.  It seems to be OK
}if I change into a folder further/forward in the directory structure, but I am
}not able to move backwards.  I'm trying to access a file in a folder that is
}at the same directory level as the directory I am in.  This is the line from
}my script:
}
}chdir ("/textfiles");

Why do you think that Unix paths will work on a Macintosh?  (This
particular one wouldn't even do what you wanted to do on a Unix machine.
It would be either "./textfiles" or just "textfiles".)

Unless you actually have a folder named "/textfiles" (the /, meaning
nothing special under MacOS, being part of the name), you should simply say

chdir(":textfiles");

Although you don't absolutely need the : in this case, it's best to get
used to using them for relative paths.  The file itself would be denoted
:textfiles:file.

This is explained in, for example, the file "MacPerl.Specifics" in your
MacPerl folder.

}
}If anyone has run into this problem, or knows how to solve this problem,
}please reply.
}
}Thanks
}Mark Hunt