Re: [MacPerl] ICMP

Strider <Strider@baka.com> writes:
}Has anyone had experience with/does anyone know how to use perl to send
}ICMP requests (such as PINGs)? Although this is sort of a UNIX perl
}question, the Mac's is handled slightly differently (besides, that hasn't
}stopped anyone before =)

I don't know the exact reason why, but you can't send ICMP echo from
MacPerl.  On Unix, ICMP echo is a privileged operation, so you must have
uid 0 in order to do it.  There's a Net::Ping in the CPAN archives (the
author's name escapes me at the moment) which does ICMP, UDP, and TCP echo.
I've modified it to work under MacPerl (but obviously no ICMP), and you can
find it at <ftp://mors.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/MacPerl/Scripts/>.  (The
modification was simply that MacPerl doesn't know the port number for the
TCP/UCP echo service, so I told it.)

}
}-Seraph

--------