Re: [MacPerl] ICMP

At 14.16 6/28/97, Strider wrote:
>Has anyone had experience with/does anyone know how to use perl to send
>ICMP requests (such as PINGs)? Although this is sort of a UNIX perl
>question, the Mac's is handled slightly differently (besides, that hasn't
>stopped anyone before =)

There's a Net::Ping module which is part of the the MacPerl 5.1.3r2
distribution.  There've been more recent versions, which are on CPAN.  The
version bundled with perl5.004 can use different protocols, including ICMP,
TCP, and UDP.

I just tested it out, and it might need some tweaking to work right.  For
instance, it wouldn't recognize "icmp" protocol by name, and it wasn't able
to get the tcp echo port by name (maybe because the Mac does not have such
a port).

Anyway, it's there on CPAN.

--
Chris Nandor                 pudge@pobox.com                 http://pudge.net/
%PGPKey=('B76E72AD',[1024,'08 24 09 0B CE 73 CA 10  1F F7 7F 13 81 80 B6 B6'])