Re: [MacPerl] MacPerl::SetFileInfo Help (fwd)

According to Chris Nandor:

> If that is true, then (1) that is a serious problem and (2) it should be
> identified in the MacPerl docs.  On UNIX perl, the creation is always
> immediate.

I never thought of it as a serious problem - just that that
was how the Macs worked and so I should just adjust how I
did things accordingly.  :-/

Still doesn't seem like a big deal to me.  You just ensure
that the file is there before you start attempting to do
anything with the file.

I believe that the best example of the above is with the
floppy drive.  Create a large file which will take up a
substantial portion of a floppy disk.  Copy it over to the
floppy.  Then, immediately after the file is through
copying - try to take the floppy disk out of the drive.  It
should not kick it out immediately.  The reason is - the
ram cache is still full and it's having to be cleared.  If
you have the floppy drive icon expanded to show what is on
the floppy disk nothing should show up either until after
it has finished putting the file onto the floppy.  (The
most I've ever seen is a generic file icon which changed to
the proper file icon after the copying was through.)  I
realize that a "visual" representation of a file's icon
does not equate to the file not really being there.
However, if you - at the same time of the copying - attempt
to access the file you should get an error stating that the
file is not really there yet (ie: on the floppy disk).
Hard drives are worked in the same manner as the floppy
drives - it's just that a hard drive is faster so you do
not usually get an error if you try this on a hard drive.
:-)

But - as I've said - I really do not see this as a serious
bug.  I see it as that is just how the OS works.