Re: [MacPerl] MacPerl::SetFileInfo Help (fwd)

further clarification:

I meant to say Mark Manning, not Matthias, in my last post, who wrote in
this thread:
>Older outlook on file creation.  The steps were: Open,
>write, close, then manipulate.  The reason was:
>
>The OPEN command does not guarantee that the file is
>created immediately.  Only that you wish to open and/or
>create a file if it isn't there.  With a ram cache (which
>is automatically engaged in  Mac OS version 7.5 and later),
>the open command can be cached and, until a flush is issued
>(ie: a close usually does this) by the user or system, the
>request to create a new file can take as long as five
>minutes.  (To which I say "blech".)  This was stated under
>system OS release v7.1 by an Apple rep on one of the
>Macintosh news groups.  It is one of the reasons why, when
>I'm creating a file I do an OPEN/CLOSE/OPEN in order to
>create it.
>
>My feelings are: Better safe than sorry.  :-)

Dave Beverly
webmaster@thecitizennews.com -- http://www.thecitizennews.com/
Mac Manipulator
"I don't do windows!"

**
MacOS is an operating system; OS/2 is half an operating system; windoze
is a shell; DOS is a boot partition virus... where do you want to go
today?