Re: [MacPerl] MacPerl::SetFileInfo Help (fwd)

At 14.13 7/2/97, Mark Manning/Muniz Eng. wrote:
>According to Chris Nandor:
>>
>> If that is true, then (1) that is a serious problem and (2) it should be
>> identified in the MacPerl docs.  On UNIX perl, the creation is always
>> immediate.
>
>I never thought of it as a serious problem - just that that
>was how the Macs worked and so I should just adjust how I
>did things accordingly.  :-/
>
>Still doesn't seem like a big deal to me.  You just ensure
>that the file is there before you start attempting to do
>anything with the file.

If it is really true -- and I have reservations because I don't think
Matthias has confirmed it and I have not seen it happen -- then it is a
serious problem, if only because a programmer can reasonably expect it to
be able to do something with a file immediately after the open() function.
The Perl docs state that the file exists at that time.  I just think of any
problem that can break well-written code as "serious".

--
Chris Nandor                 pudge@pobox.com                 http://pudge.net/
%PGPKey=('B76E72AD',[1024,'08 24 09 0B CE 73 CA 10  1F F7 7F 13 81 80 B6 B6'])