Re: [MacPerl] Apple Events (was: Checking user-id's and paswords)

At 3.38 7/22/97, Jon Warbrick wrote:
>Of course the problem for many of us is that, while we may or may not
>be competent with Perl, we simply don't know enough about Apple Event
>programming to use the Apple Event interface in place of Apple
>Script.

Understood.  Which is why I am freely tossing around examples for all to
share.  :-)

I have an article forthcoming in The Perl Journal which should help explain
all this stuff ... but it has been delayed until the Winter issue (December
:-p).

Speaking of AEs ... Matthias, has AppleEvents.pm been tested under Mac OS
8?  I have heard of some software having difficulty with AEs under Mac OS
8, especially when dealing directly with the Finder.

>[ Now all I need to do (for an other project) is work out why Chris's
>[ AppleEvent interface to PGP will not work for me against PGP
>[ 2.6.3i, when it's supposed to work with 2.6.3 and as far as I
>[ know they should be the same at the Apple Event level. Any
>[ comments Cris? ]

(I didn't seem to get the original message here ...)

Well, I don't have a copy of the international version.  Never got around
to it.  I would go out and get it now and test with it, but I'm not sure
how much I want to spend in time on 2.6.3(i) until I find out how long it
will be until a scriptable 5.0 freeware version will be available.

When I have time, I have a half dozen or so changes to make to all my
modules; this one is on my list.

--
Chris Nandor             pudge@pobox.com             http://pudge.net/
%PGPKey=('B76E72AD',[1024,'0824 090B CE73 CA10  1FF7 7F13 8180 B6B6'])