Re: [MacPerl] MacPerl and WebSTAR

>I am teaching a summer class to high school students on how to cgi
>program in perl, however, I have just learned that the server that we
>will be using is a Mac server and not a UNIX server and unfortunately
>the system administrators here have not dabbled in cgi/perl - and are much
>too overwhelmed to start.
>
>Needless to say, I have inherited the responsibility of setting all of
>this up,
>and am pleased to have found the MacPerl port.  However, I have not been
>able to
>locate documentation on how to configure a WebSTAR server to utilize
>MacPerl.
>
>From the MacPerl FAQ

<H3>5.2.1) How do I serve Web information (CGI)?</H3>

Learn the operations of doing CGI on the Macintosh.  Read the first rate <A
HREF="http://www.comvista.com/net/www/lessons/START_HERE.html">tutorial</A>
by Jon Wiederspan.

<P>
Then, get the <A
href="ftp://err.ethz.ch/pub/neeri/MacPerl/PCGI_06Feb96.sit.hqx">CGI glue</A>

<P>
Next, get some documentation from
<A href="http://www.biap.com/machttp/howto_perl.html">Using Perl With
MacHTTP</A>
and
<A
href="http://www.zdnet.com/macuser/mu_0497/features/webservers/webmain.html">Mac
Users April 1997</A>.

<P>Other links which may be of use are <A
href="http://www.macworld.com/cgi-bin/pages.pl/pages/october.96/Feature.2695.htm
l">MacWorld</A>,<A
href="http://arpp.carleton.ca/mac/question/network.html">Mac
WWW: Network Questions</A>, and <A
href="http://www.starnine.com/machttp/machttp.html">MacHTTP web site</A>.

>Does anyone know if this is possible?

Yes it is possible

>Is it something that I have to configure
>within MacPerl?  Do I need any additional software?

The CGI glue (see above)

> Does MacPerl have to be installed on the server?

Yes

>Does MacPerl need to be running continuosly?

Yes

> Do I need to specify a cgi-bin(s)?

Yes - it goes as a subdirectory of the server  (I think I used an
evaluation copy of MacHTTP). i.e. in a folder under that in which the
execuable sits

>Am I approaching this from too much of a UNIX
>standpoint?
>
>Any information that any of you can provide would be greatly appreciated
>by both
>myself and the kiddoes.  Thanks.
>
>- Jebeze Alexander
>jalexander@edc.org
>jalexander@interlook.com

Hope that this is some use.

Bob

          Bob Wilkinson, Perl Programmer, Pindar plc
Tel: +44 (0)1904 617547    Email: B.Wilkinson@pindar.com
Fax: +44 (0)1904 613110    URL: http://www.connection.co.uk/bob