Re: [MacPerl] Old messages ok [open IN/OUT]

At 23:07 +1000 on 29/7/97, Strider wrote:
>Thanks- I think I've got what I need from the messages posted back to me.
>One question left (to make sure I've got this right)-
>
>If I open file ( IN ,"<<cool.text")
>and then write out to IN, it'll append the text, and not write over the
>file, right?

I think what you want is
  open( OUT, ">>cool.text" );

This appends the text, and will not overwrite the file.

  open( IN, "<<cool.txt" );

Gives you lots of wonderful syntax errors...

If you use

  open( INOUT, "+<cool.txt" );

You can read and write the file (but not clobber it), but I've not used it.

Regards,
-Alex

Windows 95: n. 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch
to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor,
written by a 2 bit company.