[MacPerl] [OFF-TOPIC] shebang line (was: UNIX "system" command)

At 09:56 -0500 30-07-97, Chris Nandor wrote:
>On my big UltraSPARC Solaris box at work, the syadmin wanted
>all GNU-type stuff in /opt/gnu ... so I installed perl there, but made it
>respond to "#!/usr/bin/perl" on the shebang line (which is where perl is on
>our other machines) during configuration.

Huh?

The shebang line isn't interpreted by perl. It's there to allow a different
interpreter for the script then the current shell

Nothing you do to the perl binary will let it catch the shebang line before
the shell. If "/usr/bin/perl" doesn't exist your shell will cry foul before
"/opt/gnu/perl" ever sees it.

What you *can* do at "sh ./configure" time is to specify a different name
for the binary so you can call it "baz" and still use embedded commandline
switches on the shebang line.

If you meant that you run it like '/opt/gnu/perl script.pl', and have
"#!/usr/bin/perl" on the shebang line, you shouldn't have to change
anything at configure time. For extra switches (or embedded scripts with
"-X") perl looks for the binary name ("perl" and "perl") and ignores the
path ("/opt/gnu/" and "/usr/bin/") AFAIK.

Did I misunderstand something you wrote there Chris?

BTW. Until MacPerl runs on Concert this *is* off-topic for the MacPerl list.

PS. Wouldn't Concert/Rhapsody be a great development platform for Perl? :-)

# Terje Bless                 <URL:mailto:link@tss.no>
# Resident BOFH               <URL:http://www.tss.no/>
# TSS Ltd.                    <URL:phone:+4777684817>