[MacPerl] invisible characters?

Hi, I have a Perl script that assembles hundreds of little text files into
big html files, then ftp's the html files to a different Unix server.
Occasionally, the script crashes upon reaching a certain file, and I think
it's a little strange that the file was always last modified in BBEdit on a
Mac, then uploaded as ASCII through NetFinder. I was wondering, is there
any difference between a Mac text file and a Unix text file? Is it possible
that the Mac/BBEdit is inserting a strange character here or there (^M is a
character that pops up a lot when viewed in Unix)? Or could the problem be
corruption during FTP (from my Mac to the server)? Is it best to keep Mac
and Unix separate, or should it not matter?

Thanks very much for your advice!

Rich Goldman
rich@cgninteractive.com