Re: [MacPerl] Bug report on 5.14b1 (fwd)

Mark Manning/Muniz Eng. writes:
|Not to ask a stupid question or anything....well - ok maybe
|it is stupid.  ;-)  Anyway, is there some reason why "IBM"
|isn't checked for on the OS's?  Shouldn't the above be:

I'm not Paul, but the answer is that DOS (and hence Windows) has
accepted forward slash as a path separator for a long time (maybe
from the start?). Insisting on using a backslash as a path
separator just complicates things, as you can see by your change
to make a path using backslashes (which is wrong anyway--you don't
want to change slashes to colons on DOS). It's easier and more
portable to just use a forward slash.

|Also, if you have a sec, can you explain why the "if( x eq
|y )" is used in favor of the "if( x =~ y )"?  Is the former
|faster than the latter?

Faster or not, they're simply different operators. One is asking
are these two strings equal, the other is asking does this string
match this expression. It doesn't matter that another operator
could, in some circumstances, give the same answer, you still use
the one that does what you want.

Brian