Re: [MacPerl] Bug report on 5.14b1 (fwd)

bart.mediamind@tornado.be (Bart Lateur) writes:
>On Wed, 13 Aug, Chris Nandor wrote:
>>However, you could carefully craft a regex to do something similar.
>>Possiblities:
>>
>>/^(?:MacOS|Mac OS)$/
>>/^MacOS|Mac OS$/
>>/^Mac ?OS$/
>>/^Mac( ?OS.*|intosh.*)?$/
>>
>>Obviously, to best craft the regex, you need to know exactly what the
>>possibilities might be.
>
>Let's take this back to the basis. Who decides what $^O returns? Could
>this be, for MacPerl, Matthias
>
>In this case, if Matthias decides that the result will always be
>"MacOS", the number of possibilities to consider are rather limited. ;-)

That's a good point, and a welcome intrusion of sobriety into this slightly
absurd debate. However, I'd like to point out that I will *not* decide what
Rhapsody perl will put into $^O (and, given current Configure heuristics,
it's not entirely impossible that that value would be "next").

Matthias

-----
   "I'm set free to find a new illusion" -- Velvet Underground