Re: [MacPerl] OSA Extention for PERL

At 11.13 8/8/97, Strider wrote:
>Awhile back, a MacPERL OSA extention was released. If it worked (which it
>generally doesn't =) it would allow the Script Editor to edit PERL scripts
>(yipee) and (if I understand correctly) allow PERL scripts to be accessed
>as standalones like Applescript Standalones and droplets.
>
>This, to my mind, would be wonderful. Apple might even be convinced to add
>the plugin to its standard Rhapsody distribution (two languages, one native
>to each box, that could be used in both) which would also allow PERL
>scripts from openSTEP to be used with ease, and without the necessity of an
>application, which seems like it MAY (I hope not) become defunct with
>Rhapsody.

You don't need a "plugin" for the Yellow Box, as UNIX perl runs natively
there already.  I think what is needed -- Matthias, please tell me if I am
wrong -- is better OSA support from Apple for language developers.  I want
to be able to better access Apple Events, have an arbitrary language more
easily integrate with the OS and apps, etc.

>It would also be extremely advantageous for web site developers, because
>the software would be loaded as part of the system- it would be even
>faster, and require less RAM (at least, I think it probably would =).

Maybe, maybe not.  Either way, it has to be loaded in.  It really depends
on how well it is programmed.  And since I know even less about NeXTStep's
memory scheme than I do about the Mac's, it is too hard for me to say.

>One of the most major setbacks of macintosh-based perl is that scripts
>can't just be distributed, like they can in UNIX. You also need the
>application, libraries, etc. If you make a standalone, it's huge- over 1
>meg. The perl script itself might only be 5k.

No, that's the exact same as in UNIX.  When you send someone a UNIX perl
script, you are assuming they have perl installed with the same
modules/libraries/extensions as your script requires.  When I do scripting
work for others, I just have them install MacPerl.  It's the easiest thing
in the world to install.

>Anyway, that's my two cents. It probably won't save macPERL (if it's in
>jeopardy, I haven't really been keeping up) but I'd sure use it.

MacPerl as we know it is in jeopardy.  When the MacOS as we know it ceases
to exist -- five years? -- there might not be a need for MacPerl except on
legacy systems (i.e., most 68k systems).  But we will still have an OS with
its own idiosyncracies -- like toolbox and Apple Event calls -- that we
will probably like to arbitrarily access as we do know and as we hope to do
more easily in the future.  But we will have UNIX perl to run on our new
MacOS systems of the future, so all we would need are the libraries, if
they can get ported over.

--
Chris Nandor             pudge@pobox.com             http://pudge.net/
%PGPKey=('B76E72AD',[1024,'0824 090B CE73 CA10  1FF7 7F13 8180 B6B6'])