Re: [MacPerl] OSA Extention for PERL

At 07.21 8/14/97, Michael Schuerig wrote:
>At 4:50 Uhr +0100 14.08.1997, Chris Nandor wrote:
>>NOTE OF INTEREST: Larry Wall is working on a Perl->Java compiler.
>
>To JVM bytecode not Java source code, I guess. Is there a place on the net
>to find more about this?

All I've seen:

        http://perl-conf.songline.com/

>On a side note, has anyone considered what effects compiling Perl will have
>on the community? The current text-based form of modules and scripts more
>or less enforces sharing. As much as I'm looking forward to compiled Perl
>and (almost) standalone "scripts", I hope it won't have detrimental effects.

Interesting thoughts.  I tend to think that most people will still give
important code away for free in source form whenever possible.  Look at the
GNU C software available.

By "important," I mean modules, libraries, etc.  I almost never use whole
applications from other people (for free).  I either build it myself, buy
it, or payt someone to write it.  I think most people are the same way.

Besides, Perl is cross-platform.  Compiling it automatically makes it
single-platform (in most cases).

I dunno.  It is a concern and something to think about, but I am definitely
worried about it.

--
Chris Nandor             pudge@pobox.com             http://pudge.net/
%PGPKey=('B76E72AD',[1024,'0824 090B CE73 CA10  1FF7 7F13 8180 B6B6'])