Re: [MacPerl] OSA Extention for PERL

Georg_Bauer@ms3.maus.westfalen.de, mac-perl@iis.ee.ethz.ch
Subj:	Re: [MacPerl] OSA Extention for PERL

Georg Bauer wrote recently:

>make delivery easier. Another thing I could think of would be some
>simple installation mechanism for delivery of larger packages or
>libraries like libnet or libwww - something you could produce that
>locates the MacPerl folder, locates the library folder and installs the
>library parts into the right locations. So you could give someone only
>some installers: one for MacPerl, one for each library and one for the
>application. That would make installation more Mac-like.

I believe this is precisely the idea behind ExtUtils::MM_Unix.pm and method
overriding modules like MM_Mac.pm (there are also MM_OS2.pm and MM_VMS.pm
modules).  Unfortunately, on a Mac you cannot be guarenteed that there will be
a full MPW installation.  Hence MM_Mac.pm might better be altered to work with
Nick Ing-Simmons' Make module for perl.

Peter Prymmer