Re: [MacPerl] OSA Extention for PERL

Matthias Ulrich Neeracher <neeri@iis.ee.ethz.ch> wrote:

> I think I understand your feelings, but for the n-th time, TURNING Perl
> INTO AN OSA LANGUAGE DOESN'T SHRINK IT TO THE SIZE OF APPLESCRIPT OR
> FRONTIER. Perl is a large language. There is no way to make it smaller.
> The only way is to wait for a system with improved memory and process
> management, where the size is not as noticeable.

Actually I am quite happy with the Droplet feature of MacPerl: you just
need to install MacPerl (and that is really very easy) and then you can
deliver your droplet quite easily. Don't see where there is a problem
with this approach - no need to go osa. Ok, it would be _fine_ to be
able to access properties and such directly in Perl. But not really
necessary.

Maybe something like the JBinder for Mac Java would be interesting:
there you can integrate several java classes and archives into the
droplet. This is possible with MacPerl, too, but you must use a resource
editor. So it would be helpful to be able to integrate several perl
packages into the droplet, so that you don't need to deliver them as
seperate packages. This would make droplets even more handier. And would
make delivery easier. Another thing I could think of would be some
simple installation mechanism for delivery of larger packages or
libraries like libnet or libwww - something you could produce that
locates the MacPerl folder, locates the library folder and installs the
library parts into the right locations. So you could give someone only
some installers: one for MacPerl, one for each library and one for the
application. That would make installation more Mac-like.

Actually I think of MacPerl as something like a system extension - even
though it is installed as a seperate application. It's to me the
"text-munging"-extension for MacOs ;-)

libwww and libnet are then only plugins for this text-munging extension
;-)

bye, Georg