Re: [MacPerl] Compiler

pudge@pobox.com (Chris Nandor) writes:
>At 17.21 8/22/97, Paul Giampaolo wrote:
>>Someone told me that a Compiler for MacPerl existed, is there any truth to
>>this story?????
>
>No.

Correct :-)

>But that is not the same as a compiler.  A compiler might be a part of
>perl5.005, but that will be specifically geared to UNIX perl, and might not
>be easily portable to MacPerl, in which case it probably will not happen
>any time soon.

Portability to MacPerl is unlikely to become an unsurmountable difficulty, but
the compiler is a Perl-to-C compiler so to use it, you'd still have to have
MPW and Metrowerks CodeWarrior. I'd estimate that less than half a dozen people
have ever built an extension module for MacPerl, so unless a healthy and active
extension module building community develops (which has happened to some extent
for Perl code modules already), I might not port the compiler or not distribute
it widely.

Matthias

-----
  "If people are boasting that they use the best tools, you can figure that
   they can't find any competitive advantage to using those tools, or else
   they wouldn't be presenting them as a competitive advantage." -- Dave Winer