Re: [MacPerl] A perl by any other name... (gratitude)

Some time around 8/19/97 2:16 PM CDT, Webmaster wrote something about

>I must say, I probably wouldn't use MacPerl if I didn't have BBEdit. Word 6
>is too big and bulky for my 2nd-generation PowerMac, I can't get my hands
>on Word 5, and SimpleText never ceases to infuriate me. (But then again,
>anything's better than emacs!) Does anyone use a different editor with
>MacPerl, something with multiple-level undos? I'm not all that familiar
>with Macs, so any info is greatly appreciated.

Alpha is a _great_ editor for MacPerl, C/C++, whatever.  It's
lightweight, packed with features, and hugely extensible.

Alpha uses Tcl to drive most of its functionality, and you can edit the
Tcl coding to change whatever behaviour you want.  It ships with a
MacPerl menu that allows you to send a whole file or a selection in a
window to the MacPerl app to be run.  Alpha can tell MacPerl (in the
background) to save your open windows as Droplet, Runtime, or CGI.

Although only the Perl parser itself is perfect at parsing perl code (for
syntax colouring), Alpha does a really good job, and if you're really up
to it (and are familiar with Tcl), you could always try to make it
perfect yourself.

I also use it as an External Editor for CodeWarrior Pro, and to tweak
HTML (usually generated with MacPerl scripts).  :- )

I give it high marks in everything one (at least, I) could want from a
text editor.  Along with MPW, Frontier, and my emailer, it's an app that
I have open and in use every single day.  It's shareware, $30, and can be
found at:

<ftp://ftp.cs.umd.edu/pub/faculty/keleher/Alpha/>

I think the latest non-beta release is 6.52; be sure to get the full
distribution, not AlphaLite.

The only major feature, IMNSHO, which could use improvement in Alpha is
multi-file search and replace, at which BBEdit is superior by far.

PS - My production PowerMac is a 7200->7600 upgrade.  I know what you
mean about M$ Word (although I do have 5 installed).

cheers,

Dave Beverly
webmaster@thecitizennews.com -- http://www.thecitizennews.com/
webmaster@henrynews.com -- http://www.henrynews.com/
Mac Manipulator
"I don't do windows!"

**
MacOS is an operating system; OS/2 is half an operating system; windoze
is a shell; DOS is a boot partition virus... where do you want to go
today?