[MacPerl] need tiny help in building MacPerl from src

hopefully someone other than Matthias will be able to help me.
I'm working from his brief notes for 5.1.4b2 from 21/8.

I already have an installed ('heaven' for C/Java) CodeWarrior 1 running
under MacOS 8, and I didn't understand this step. Well I don't particularly
want to reinstall CW, and iny any case a brief look through the docs found
no mention of 'flat' headers.
 - Do CodeWarrior MPW installation with flat headers (in
   {MPW}Interfaces:MWCIncludes).

here's my notes so far, which have the benefit of being written by somebody
who didn't really know what they're doing, and working on a freshly
installed CW MPW. The other side of the coin is that I don't really know
what I'm doing, but so far it hasn't been too hard (that's why I like it
when programs can't find a file they tell you the expected path)

matthias' additions to apple.mac readme says to install dmake
  The build is still 68K only, without a commando resource, and somewhat
rough, but
  has worked very reliably for me. To install, simply copy dmake,
BuildProgram and
  BuildCommands to some directory in the {Command} path.
the idea is to override the standard MPW BuildProgram - if it is still in effect
you'll get told "No makefile exists for all". Anyway I copied these three
files into
the empty User Commands folder. Then MPW complained about not being able to find
startup.mk so I copied it into into the tools folder - probably not ideal since
that's where standard MPW command tools reside.

the GUSI folder in the toplevel of the source needs to be placed inside a
folder called
CWGUSI at that level

Matthias' notes were missing a ":lib" in the sfio paths

having only briefly played with MPW years ago [some 3rd party Pascal]
one thing I still remembered: typing a command followed by an ellipsis
brings up a standard dialog box
NB the enter key is used to start commands

the name of my volume which held MPW and MacPerl src had a space in it.
Perhaps a change to just one script file or makefile to quote this may
have been sufficient, but I felt it simpler just to rename it from
"Danny Development" to "DannyDevelopment". You'll have to restart
MPW and might get asked to locate Interfaces&Libraries

More importantly, it seems the makefile has problems with the space in
the standard name of "CodeWarrior MPW". So I removed the space there too.

MPW then complained
# can't locate include directory
'DannyDevelopment:Metrowerks:CodeWarriorMPW:MPW:Interfaces:OldMWCIncludes:'
so I copied an alias to Interfaces into the MPW folder

then it complained
the file 'ConditionalMacros.h' cannot be opened
this is when I'm suspicious the problem might come from missing flat
headers. I copied ConditionalMacros.h from CIncludes into OldMWCIncludes

and this leaves me still with a problem in the first file, but I feel things
can't be too far away from going. It might just need a tweak to this makefile
  $(OldC68K) -t -ext .68K.old.o {{OldSrc68K}} -o :Obj:
                                              ^^^^^^^^

cheers,
Danny Thomas

BuildProgram all
# 8:33:04 PM ----- Build of all.
# 8:33:04 PM ----- Analyzing dependencies.
# 8:33:09 PM ----- Executing build commands.
   Set Echo 0
   If " :sfclose.c :sfclrlock.c :sfcvt.c :sfdisc.c :sfdlen.c :sfexcept.c
:sfextern.c :sffilbuf.c :sfflsbuf.c :sfprints.c :sfgetd.c :sfgetl.c
:sfgetr.c :sfgetu.c :sfllen.c :sfmode.c :sfmove.c :sfnew.c :sfnotify.c
:sfnputc.c :sfopen.c :sfpeek.c :sfpkrd.c :sfpool.c :sfpopen.c :sfprintf.c
:sfputd.c :sfputl.c :sfputr.c :sfputu.c :sfrd.c :sfread.c :sfscanf.c
:sfseek.c :sfset.c :sfsetbuf.c :sfsetfd.c :sfsize.c :sfsk.c :sfstack.c
:sfstrtod.c :sfsync.c :sftable.c :sftell.c :sftmp.c :sfungetc.c
:sfvprintf.c :sfvscanf.c :sfwr.c :sfwrite.c :sfexit.c :sfpurge.c :sfpoll.c
:sfreserve.c :sfswap.c :sfraise.c :Sfio_f:_sfclrerr.c :Sfio_f:_sfeof.c
:Sfio_f:_sferror.c :Sfio_f:_sffileno.c :Sfio_f:_sfgetc.c :Sfio_f:_sfgetl.c
:Sfio_f:_sfgetu.c :Sfio_f:_sfputc.c :Sfio_f:_sfslen.c :Sfio_f:_sfulen.c
:Sfio_f:_sfstacked.c :Sfio_f:_sfvalue.c :Stdio_s:stdgets.c
:Stdio_s:stdopen.c :Stdio_s:stdprintf.c :Stdio_s:stdscanf.c
:Stdio_s:stdsprintf.c :Stdio_s:stdvbuf.c" != "" É End
    MWC68K -sym on -w nopossible -i :Stdio_s: -i :::::GUSI:CWGUSI:include:
-d __dest_os=__mac_os -nosyspath -mc68020 -model far -opt all -i
DannyDevelopment:Metrowerks:CodeWarriorMPW:MPW:Interfaces:OldMWCIncludes:
-t -ext .68K.old.o :sfclose.c :sfclrlock.c :sfcvt.c :sfdisc.c :sfdlen.c
:sfexcept.c :sfextern.c :sffilbuf.c :sfflsbuf.c :sfprints.c :sfgetd.c
:sfgetl.c :sfgetr.c :sfgetu.c :sfllen.c :sfmode.c :sfmove.c :sfnew.c
:sfnotify.c :sfnputc.c :sfopen.c :sfpeek.c :sfpkrd.c :sfpool.c :sfpopen.c
:sfprintf.c :sfputd.c :sfputl.c :sfputr.c :sfputu.c :sfrd.c :sfread.c
:sfscanf.c :sfseek.c :sfset.c :sfsetbuf.c :sfsetfd.c :sfsize.c :sfsk.c
:sfstack.c :sfstrtod.c :sfsync.c :sftable.c :sftell.c :sftmp.c :sfungetc.c
:sfvprintf.c :sfvscanf.c :sfwr.c :sfwrite.c :sfexit.c :sfpurge.c :sfpoll.c
:sfreserve.c :sfswap.c :sfraise.c :Sfio_f:_sfclrerr.c :Sfio_f:_sfeof.c
:Sfio_f:_sferror.c :Sfio_f:_sffileno.c :Sfio_f:_sfgetc.c :Sfio_f:_sfgetl.c
:Sfio_f:_sfgetu.c :Sfio_f:_sfputc.c :Sfio_f:_sfslen.c :Sfio_f:_sfulen.c
:Sfio_f:_sfstacked.c :Sfio_f:_sfvalue.c :Stdio_s:stdgets.c
:Stdio_s:stdopen.c :Stdio_s:stdprintf.c :Stdio_s:stdscanf.c
:Stdio_s:stdsprintf.c :Stdio_s:stdvbuf.c -o :Obj:
Time to compile 'sfclose.c': 2.20 seconds
### MWC68K Usage Error:
# directory must be used with -o when
# more than one source file is compiled at a time;
# option '-o :Obj:' not accepted
# errors caused tool to abort
### MPW Shell - Execution of all.makeout terminated.
### MPW Shell - Execution of BuildProgram terminated.