[MacPerl] From p5p

%reference = (Chip=>'Chip Salzenberg <chip@pobox.com> (Head of perl5.004
development)');

#=======================================================================

Subject:     More about TPI 2.0
Date:        Wed, 27 Aug 1997 01:58:19 -0400
From:        Jon Orwant <orwant@media.mit.edu>
To:          perl5-porters@perl.org
Newsgroups:  perl.porters-gw

As Chip indicated, TPI changed last Thursday at the Perl conference.
Obviously, everyone had noticed the rather deafening silence from the
TPI board.  We noticed it too.  The reason is this: we've all been
worried that TPI would be an embarrassment.  Thanks to the changes
that have taken place, this is no longer true.

Chip will now be the point man for making a lot of the TPI goals
happen.  If 5.004 is any indication, we're in very good hands,
although I shudder at the prospect of waking up to fifteen
volunteer-effort patches and the resulting query from Felix about who
left the Salzenberg on overnight.

Anyway, we're going to start with the little stuff, little baby steps
for a child that has taken far too long to learn to walk.  The first
step is setting up some mailing lists so we don't clutter p5p with
policy issues.  There is a tpi-advisory@perl.org mailing list with
only a few names on it at the moment.  I'd like to invite anyone who's
interested in helping shape TPI to join, but not quite yet: give Chip
(or Alan Olsen, the TPI webmaster) a chance to tickle Majordomo (or
equivalent) in the right way -- they're hearing about it for the first
time with this message.  One of 'em will send p5p mail when the list
is ready.  (Thanks, guys!)  We'll also set up a tpi-announce mailing
list for people who join and want to know how their money is being
spent, but don't want to participate in the day-to-day discussion.

After that: an online job board that connects employers with
programmers.  Other tasks to follow.  We have some ideas (although my
personal list vanished when my luggage was stolen from the conference
hotel) but are always happy to hear new suggestions.  tpi-advisory
will be where we'll discuss TPI tasks.

Starting now, every dollar that comes in will be accounted for and all
income and expenses will be listed on the TPI web page.  (The previous
finances remain a mystery even to us.)  We haven't figured out how the
billing apparatus will work, so please don't send money yet.  We'll
have use for that soon enough :-).  We'll be sure to list individual
and corporate donations on the TPI web page.

I'm speaking for myself here, not for the other board members (Larry
and Tom and Randal). But we're all on the same page.  This is part of
the new TPI: less formality and more communication.  And, hopefully,
action.

-Jon