[MacPerl] Using MacPerl to send mail by SMTP

Could somebody please give me advice on how to send an e-mail (via SMTP),
using a MacPerl cgi script. I've read the MacPerl FAQ and obtained the
macSMTP.pl and mailit scripts but have had no success.(I get an error
message saying that macSMTP.pl did not return a true value). Apparently
macSMTP.pl requires the macchat.pl script which I can't find on the Web.
I realise I can embed applescript commands within MacPerl to  control
Eudora or MondoMail but I'd like to do it directly via SMTP.
Does anyone have a simple solution to this problem?
(BTW the mail server is a Mac running AIMS).
Thanks in advance,
Eoin Fahy, Ph.D.

MitoKor   http://www.mitokor.com/