Re: [MacPerl] Newlines/SoftWindows

At 01.28 10/13/97, Rich Goldman wrote:
>I was considering buying SoftWindows for my Mac rather than buy a PC.
>Now if I save a text-only file in Winword, then open it in BBEdit, is
>the file going to have a \r and \n at the end of each line? Likewise, if
>I save a file in BBEdit and upload it through a Windows FTP program (WS
>FTP, which I happen to like more than Fetch), is that going to screw me
>up?

If you save it in WinWord and open it in BBEdit, it will have CRLF (no, NOT \r\n ... \r and \n are not the same across platforms ... the values are \015\012).  But BBEdit won't care (and MacPerl will).

If you send it as text through FTP, it will get converted en route, and you will be fine.

Yes, the biggest problem I see with line endings is that when you use the same file system for two platforms.  Some connection software like netatalk will do the translation in the background.  But SoftWindows/VirtualPC will not.

--
Chris Nandor             pudge@pobox.com             http://pudge.net/
%PGPKey=('B76E72AD',[1024,'0824 090B CE73 CA10  1FF7 7F13 8180 B6B6'])