[MacPerl] Perl Script Newlines (Again)

At 1:25 PM -0400 10/17/97, Chris Nandor wrote:
>At 11.55 10/17/97, Mark F. Murphy wrote:
>>At 8:07 AM -0400 10/17/97, Chris Nandor wrote:
>>>Remember, though, that this is not a Perl-specific problem.  All languages
>>>would have this problem.
>>
>>No.
>>
>>I can read C and C++ source files in CodeWarrior no matter what the EOL is
>>(Mac, Unix, DOS).
>
>That has nothing to do with the programming language ...

It does when we are talking *source*.... and I'm talking source.

I could care less that C/C++ has to compile from it to an executable or
whether a Perl interpreter has to read it on the fly...

With C/C++ I do not have to keep different sources of the code in different
text formats... at least not in CodeWarrior.  Codewarrior "does the right
thing" as a good chunk of Mac programs do.  The user doesn't have to care
whether the file came from Unix or DOS.

I'd expect MacPerl to be up to this par since the Perl scripts themselves
may come from Unix or DOS.

Frankly, I'm kinda surprised there so many Mac users defending MacPerl's
position of reading *only* Mac text files for it's scripts.

Let's see... BBEdit doesn't care.... CodeWarrior's editor doesn't care....
GoLive CyberStudio doesn't care....

... but MacPerl chokes on anything but Mac based text files for its script.

I'd say in this respect that MacPerl doesn't follow what other language/web
tools do on the Mac.

This in *no way* should be taken as a flame on MacPerl or the developer(s).
It looks like a really good product and I'm sure there's a ton of work that
went into it.

However, that doesn't mean one can't point out what looks like a short
coming (at least on the Mac platform).

mark

PowerPerl(tm),  mailto:info@powerperl.com   http://www.powerperl.com
       A product of Tyrell Software Corp.   http://www.tyrell.com