Re: [MacPerl] Embedded Control Chars

At 2:03 PM -0500 10/17/97, Paul DuBois wrote:
>Since it's a commercial product, then perhaps you should offer to pay Matthias
>to make this work for you.  I may be missing something here, but as it
>stands,your complaints look very much like a gripe that free software
>doesn't do
>enough to help you make money.

That's a cheap shot.

Do I have to be writing *free* software to make an observation of how one
Mac program works compared to other Mac programs!?

I don't think so.

So let's stick to the issue at hand.

I keep pointing out it's a commercial product because people keep
recommending I can just FTP the file or convert it with a text editor.
People have kept giving advice as if I'm having a problem converting the
files... which I am not.

The issue is should a Mac version of the product be up to par with other
Mac products.  In no way am I talling the developer of MacPerl what to
do... however, I am mentioning what would be a nice feature.

I kinda just expected my existing Perl scripts to work straight away
without any conversion with BBEdit (which is what I use to write *all* my
scripts for the other platforms).  I thought I could just use the Unix
based scripts and MacPerl would do the right thing.  It doesn't.

Back to the making money thing....

Whether Matthias puts this feature in or not won't make a bit of difference
as far as me making money.

My suggestion is one that will bring MacPerl up to the same expectations
users/developers have with other Mac products... that it just does the
right thing.

Anyway... thanks to all who took the time to try to answer my question.

mark

PowerPerl(tm),  mailto:info@powerperl.com   http://www.powerperl.com
       A product of Tyrell Software Corp.   http://www.tyrell.com