[MacPerl] Embedded Control Chars

At 4:07 PM -0500 10/16/97, Mark Manning/Muniz Eng. wrote:
>(Since I am unsure if this was e-mailed or posted - I'm
>posting a reply.  Sorry if it was e-mail!)
>
>Ok, the question was basically, "Why would you ever use
>Control Characters in a script?" and I replied:
>
>	s/\012/\012\015/g;
>
>But it was pointed out that the usage of CGI.pm would
>circumvent this need.
>
>So I say - ok, how about this:

[ snip ]

I think the original point was that Perl scripts did not have embedded
chars except for the newlines.  Every thing else is escaped out in the
script.

Data files are completely different and Perl has no problems reading binary
files... using pack and unpack if required.  Perl's variables also do not
require terminating nulls, so they can contain all the ascii codes one
would like... thus work well to fill in native C structs and the like.

As a followup to my initial question about MacPerl using either Mac or Unix
style EOLs for reading scripts... the bottom line seems to be I'll need
keep a seperate set of source files for the different platforms we'll be
delivering on... Mac, Windows, and Unix.

Such is life...

mark

PowerPerl(tm),  mailto:info@powerperl.com   http://www.powerperl.com
       A product of Tyrell Software Corp.   http://www.tyrell.com