Re: [MacPerl] Re: Newlines (fwd)

According to Jim Gray:
> Mark Manning/Muniz Eng. wrote:
> >
> > According to Jim Gray:
> > > have you thought of tabs \t  which will also alow your database to be
> > > easily digested by other database appications.
> >
> > Yepper.  :-)  But, as I've already posted, I was doing
> > separators for arrays and subarrays.  :-)  Tabs alone will
> > not work.  :-)

> Sub arrays should be no problem you can use \t tabs for the main fields
> then use 2 different characters to establish sub fields
>
> say a /  or a &, = , what ever or a comma what ever you choose you then
> can use perls split function something like this

Ok - you left out a REALLY important part of my message.
The part which said: "The text fields can contain ANY
standard text character such as A-Z, a-z, 0-9 >AND< the
special characters such as '!@#$%^&*()_+-={}[]\|';":?><,./'".
Now, reapply what you've just posted.  And think about
what's going to happen when the "/", "&", or "=" is hit.

And since this is mainly a hypothetical what-if scenario
(although I do have the databases built) - if you want to
know why all of these characters are put into this database
- it's because some are equations, some are addresses, some
are notes and documentation, and some are numerical
information.  So a broad range of characters are used
throughout the database.  But at no point are control
characters used.  Which is why they are being used as the
separators.  :-)