Re: [MacPerl] Embedded Control Chars (fwd)

At 5:17 PM -0700 10/17/97, Mark F. Murphy wrote:
>At 3:33 PM -0500 10/17/97, Mark Manning/Muniz Eng. wrote:
>>The real difference though is that MacPerl is an endeavor
>>by one individual who has put in hundreds of hours of time
>>to make this work for all of us...
>
>I'd be very happy to donate some hours to get particular features working
>(like source code EOLs issue).
>
>I got a chance to meet only a handfull of MacPerl users at the Perl
>conference... as I had other dealings to do that evening.  It was good to
>see a dedicated group of Mac Perl users.

Mark, one alternative you can use could be Paul Marquess' Filter module.

With it, you can write a line like:

    use Filter::xyz;

and the rest of your script gets pre-processed with the xyz filter.  You
would still have to terminate that line, though (and a #! line before that
if there was one), so some special handling might be necessary.  But, at
least this special handling is limited to prepending a few lines rather
than editting the entire file.

Oh, and of course, you'd have to write a filter that maps incoming line
endings into native line endings.  There isn't one in the existing module.

John Macdonald             jmacd@interlog.com