Re: [MacPerl] usability

Karsten Meier <krstnmr@ibm.net> writes:
>* Command-Point
>If I have a script which is doing some input, and
>break it with Command-Point, and restart it again,
>it will not take any user input anymore.

Interesting. I'll look into this.

>* closing the MacPerl window:
>If a script is running, or it was ended with command-point,
>and I try to close the MacPerl window, it just beeps.

The fact that you can't close the console window while MacPerl runs is
deliberate. I'll argue that it's a feature.

The the window can't be closed if the script was terminated is a bug, though.

>* if you run a program with standard-input, notice some error,
>change to the editor, but forget to stop the script,
>and want to rerun the script, the "script" menu is gone away.

Yes. You cannot run two scripts simultaneously. Stop the first script first.

>* tabs in Editor are handled like a single space.

Yes, I know. This is a well known deficiency that simply has no chance to ever
make it higher on the to-do list of my life.

>These are all no problems for expert users,
>but beginers get very confused about them.

I'd say that the tabulator annoyance is a problem even for experts. That
doesn't mean that I'm likely to do anything about it, though.

Matthias

-----
  "Johannes Scotus Eriugena, the greatest European philosopher of the 9th
   century, said that if reason and authority conflict, reason should be
   given preference. And if that doesn't sound reasonable to you, you'll
   just have to accept it..."