[MacPerl] Cobol replacement?

I read an article in the ACM Communication's magazine this
morning about COBOL and I was wondering - Would PERL (or
MacPerl) fit the requirements presented in the article?

I will have to bring the magazine to work in order to post
the requirements presented.  But speaking generally they
were (if I remember correctly):

1. Accuracy (no rounding of numbers).
2. Accuracy in reading files (sequential and random).
3. Decent built in sort routine (no losing of records).
4. Easily used/read.  (ie: Understandable by the average businessman).

(I might be wrong on #4.  If someone else has the article
can you post the requirements?  Thanks!  Otherwise I will
post tomorrow about this.)

I know this is more of a general Perl question/statement
but I figured "What the heck?"  We could use a break from
the newline/embedded thing which has been going around.  :-)