Re: [MacPerl] out of mem with "libwww-perl-5.17" problem

At 11:17 AM +0000 12/12/97, Stephen Eastham wrote:

} I wonder if anyone can help me get going with libwww-perl-5.17?
}
} I've installed perl 5.1.5r4 and libwww-perl-5.17 out of the boxes,
} as it were.
}
} Perl now resides in the folder MacPerl Ä on my harddisk, and
} libwww-perl-5.17 resides in a folder called libwww-perl-5.17.
} I've put that inside the perl folder.
}
} libwww-perl-5.17 contains the following folders/files:
}
} auto
} Bundle
} File
} Font
} HTML
} HTTP
} LWP
} LWP.pm
} lwpcook.pod
} README.libwww.mac
} URI
} WWW
} Then, I've set the libraries preferences to be:
}
} HarDDisk:MacPerl Ä:lib
} HarDDisk:MacPerl Ä:libwww-perl-5.17

In other words, you wasted your time installing LWP 5.17, since there's an
LWP already in MacPerl's lib.  You need to reverse the order, or MacPerl
will continue to use LWP 5.13.  But that shouldn't cause you any memory
problems, since 5.13 worked just fine.

} I tried the following script (and a few others)
}
} #!/usr/local/bin/perl
} use LWP::Simple;
} $doc = get 'http://www.dwelle.de/nrdeu.htm';

Using a slightly different script so I can see what happens:

#!/usr/local/bin/perl
use LWP::Simple;
getprint 'http://www.dwelle.de/nrdeu.htm';

I get a "404 not found".  But no memory problems.

} All resulted in the error message "Out of Memory",
} displayed about 4 times.  Then the machine crashes.
} I've bumped up the preferred memory allocation for
} macperl to 8000, but i still get the same error message.

Which MacPerl, which System, 68k or PPC?

} I know I could have made a mistake at a number of stages
} of the installation.  Does anyone have any ideas what I'm
} doing wrong?
}
} Thank in advance,
}