[MacPerl] out of mem with "libwww-perl-5.17" problem

I wonder if anyone can help me get going with libwww-perl-5.17?

I've installed perl 5.1.5r4 and libwww-perl-5.17 out of the boxes,
as it were.

Perl now resides in the folder MacPerl Ä on my harddisk, and
libwww-perl-5.17 resides in a folder called libwww-perl-5.17.
I've put that inside the perl folder.

libwww-perl-5.17 contains the following folders/files:

auto
Bundle
File
Font
HTML
HTTP
LWP
LWP.pm
lwpcook.pod
README.libwww.mac
URI
WWW

Then, I've set the libraries preferences to be:

HarDDisk:MacPerl Ä:lib
HarDDisk:MacPerl Ä:libwww-perl-5.17

I tried the following script (and a few others)

#!/usr/local/bin/perl
use LWP::Simple;
$doc = get 'http://www.dwelle.de/nrdeu.htm';

All resulted in the error message "Out of Memory",
displayed about 4 times.  Then the machine crashes.
I've bumped up the preferred memory allocation for
macperl to 8000, but i still get the same error message.

I know I could have made a mistake at a number of stages
of the installation.  Does anyone have any ideas what I'm
doing wrong?

Thank in advance,

Stephen