Re: [MacPerl] MacPerl Question...

At 05:52 +1100 on 15/12/97, Jon S. Jaques wrote:
>What is the best way to distribute MacPerl across a LAN without installing
>MacPerl on each Mac client?
>
>I was just considering whether or not I could just leave a MacPerl
>installation on the file server, and simply run it from there.

That's the way I do it. MacPerl, unlike most Windows or Microsoft programs,
is entirely self-contained - all the stuff you need to run MacPerl is in
one folder. Wherever that folder is, your (default) libs go too. That's how
you install it - unpack the distribution archive and move the folder where
you want it. (Of course, I'm talking about the BigMacPerl application here,
since the normal MacPerl application requires the CFM library, and the
MacPerl tool needs MPW - I haven't a clue about either of those).

The only thing to be wary of is custom libs - there is a "MacPerl <version
#> Preferences" file in System:Preferences. My guess is this contains stuff
like custom library paths. The only effect this would have (AFAIK) is if
you moved from one machine to another - the window positions and custom
library paths would be different.

That's all based on my limited understanding of MacPerl.
-Alex

Windows 95: n. 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch
to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor,
written by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.