Re: [MacPerl] $^O stickiness

mac-perl@iis.ee.ethz.ch
Subj:	Re: [MacPerl] $^O stickiness

Matthias Ulrich Neeracher wrote:

!pudge@pobox.com (Chris Nandor) writes:
!>If you change the value of $^O, it sticks between subsequent invocations of
!>other scripts.  :)
!
!Now *that's* what I call an egregious problem :-) I doubt that even the most
!contrary spirits in p5p could argue for this behaviour to be correct. I'll
!fix this for 5.1.6.
!
!Matthias

I recall that Charles Bailey was the one who introduced $^O, and at the time
implemented it as read-write despite some folks claiming that it ought to be
read only (I was initially among the latter group).  On reflection people
seemed to think that beiing able to "emulate" another OS might actually
come in handy hence $^O was left writeable.  I do not think that "subsequent
invocations of other scripts" was the sort of writability-for-emulation-
purposes that people had in mind however.

Peter Prymmer